Design and Technology
Barley Hill Primary School Design and Technology Intent
Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, children design and make products to solve relevant, real-life problems, within a variety of contexts and considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
Design and Technology allows children to acquire broad subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Children learn to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
High quality Design and Technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the pupils at Barley Hill Primary School.
Our Design and Technology Curriculum aims to ensure that all children:
- Develop technical, practical and creative expertise in order to perform tasks confidently and to a high standard.
- Are well-prepared to participate effectively in the increasingly technological world in which they live
- Build and can apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a range of users.
- Can critique, evaluate and test ideas and products, both their own and the work of others’.
- Understand the principles of nutrition, how to apply them and how to cook.